Friday, February 27, 2009

Weekend Snow?

Your 5-day Forecast for London KY:

Saturday: Chance of Rain Changing to Snow late. High of of 42, Low of 30

Sunday: Chance of Snow, otherwise Mostly Cloudy. High 34, Low of 22.

Monday: Chane of Scattered Snow Showers, otherwise Mostly Cloudy. High of 26, Low of 17.

Tuesday: Partly Cloudy. High of 35, Low of 18.

Wednesday: Mostly Sunny. High of 38, Low of 20

Forecast Discussion:

Okay here's the break down. The models are all over the place. Some are taking the storm down to the gulf coast and then up the Atlantic coast. Others are taking a more inland route. The exact track of the low pressure is going to determine exactly what we see, and more importantly how much snow we see. There is still a lot of uncertainty in the track of the storm, so with that said I'm going show a map of where I think the low is going to go, followed by how much snow that would mean for KY.

Track:




Assuming This track is correct, this is what I would expect for totals.


As you can see there will be a very sharp cut off in who gets snow and who doesn't get much at all. I will have a more detailed totals map tomorrow, but at this point it's an effort in futility to go more specific just because the models will continue to bounce around a bit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much snow in my back yard Shane? LOL Just had to joke with a little. It does look promising, but at the same time you could look at other models and we would endup with a slushy 1/2" at best. Can't wait til tonights model runs and see were we are at.

Anonymous said...

I want to believe..I really do!! It would be a nice way to wrap up winter. However, I'll keep my hope in check until tonight's model runs and see how it goes before I jump on board (if necessary). Thanks for the update, Shane!!

Anonymous said...

Well I sure hope your storm track holds. Looking at the 18z run of the Nam and GFS it looks too far SE for us in southern KY to get in on an old fashion "SNOW". I think I'll wait and see what the 0z run has in store. I'm thinking we have less than 10% of seeing more than 3" of snow. I think it'll be more on the 1" maybe two into eastern sections of Knox, Clay counties...then should be alot more in Bell, Letcher, Harlan, Pike counties.