Monday, March 2, 2009

March Comes in Like a piece of Frozen Lamb

Your 5-day Forecast for London, KY:


Tuesday: Mostly Sunny and cold. Low of 11, High of 27.

Wednesday: Mostly Sunny. Low of 23, High of 47.

Thursday: Partly Cloudy with a slight chance of a scattered shower. Low of 37, High of 60.

Friday: Partly Cloudy with another slight chance of showers. Low of of 49, High of 56.

Saturday: A Chance of Showers or Thunderstorms, otherwise Mostly Cloudy. Low of 52, High
of 64.


Forecast Review since last 5-day:

Saturday: Chance of Rain Changing to Snow late. High of of 42, Low of 30 Actual: 41/31

Sunday: Chance of Snow, otherwise Mostly Cloudy. High 34, Low of 22. Actual: 38/24

Monday: Chane of Scattered Snow Showers, otherwise Mostly Cloudy. High of 26, Low of 17. Actual: **/16 *Will update later*

Well I'm pretty happy with my temperature forecasts, hey if I'm going to miss the snow totals at least I got temps pretty close!

Forecast Discussion:

Okay things are looking cold in the short term as serious Arctic high pressure moves in to clear us out. It would not surprise me if some of the sheltered valleys hit single digits for lows tomorrow morning.



Once that high moves east of us and our winds shift to the south we should start the warm air conveyor belt from the Gulf of Mexico. Temps might make a run at 70 by the weekend as we get a pair of storm systems rolling in from the planes. First things first, lets look at our Friday set up.

Storm 1:

GFS:



DGEX:



Canadian:



Euro:

Pretty decent agreement for our Friday system as a week cold front moves through. Temperatures won't drop much with it and we should just see an increase in clouds and some showers and maybe some rumbles of thunder. Now for the weekend, where things aren't looking as clear.

GFS:


DGEX:


Canadian:


Euro:


Okay let's break this down. GFS and DGEX *Which takes the NAM's data to start up and the carries out where the NAM cuts off with GFS data.* is showing a big storm getting wound up in the planes and the precipiation it is showing for us is due to a lifting warm front hooked into that storm.

The Canadian says, not so fast... I'm going to develop a storm on the east side of the Appalachians and try to wrap in some colder air for Sunday.

Then the Euro says, hang on, hang on! I'm going to bomb out our Friday system and just open the door for some cold air to come in for the weekend.

So which one's right... I'm honestly hoping the GFS. I'm tired of the cold and snow. We ended up picking up an inch last night here in WV when no model was showing it. I'm just ready to get some warmer and Sunny weather in for a couple of days to give this weather dude a break. I'm filling in again tonight at the station, so only a one day weekend tomorrow which I am looking forward to! I still think we have the chance at one big winter storm before we wrap up the season. The GFS is trying to spit out a monster storm for the 13th... but that's 11 days from now and I'll deal with it here in about 6. Until we talk again, have a great day and take care!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm ready to put this winter behind us and look forward to some warm weather. Here in my neck of the woods we had very little in the way of snowfall this year. I guess if you add up all the dusters,skiffs, and 1" snows we had...we might have had around 4 or 5" for the entire season. Thats not much in my book. So its time to look forward to some warm weather!