Friday, January 30, 2009

Friday Evening Update

Hey folks, busy day at work, I'm pretty tuckered out so I'm going to be keeping this one brief, updated 5-Day, the latest on our winter storm, and a FIRST CALL TOTALS MAP!

So lets get to it, Your 5-day Forecast for London, KY

Saturday: A few morning flurries wrap up and leaves us with clear skies by the end of the day. A low of 15, and high of 40.

Sunday: Sunny with a high near 56 and low of 32.

Monday: Start the day as Partly Cloudy, clouds increase and we could end the day with rain changing to snow. High of 41Low of 27.

Tuesday: Snow is Likely, possibly heavy snow. High of 25, Low of 18.

Wednesday: Wrap around snow from our Winter system is still possible, so going for a chance of scattered snow showers with a High of 23, and a low of 17.

Forecast Review for Today: 32/27 Light Snow Actual: 34/26 Light Snow I called for nothing to an inch accumulation wise, which I guess techincally verified, but it was kind of a cop out, oh well LOL.

Winter Weather Discussion:

We have on our hands a fight between Americas top 2 models:


Wait a second... wrong kind of models.

The WEATHER models had locked onto a pretty nice set-up for eastern KY, and then boom, everything heads out to the east coast. 18z GFS from today:



And for 3 runs that is what the models have shown, an east coast storm. Except for the NAM! In it's 18z run it said hold up, It thinks this thing still runs inland a bit.

So this has been the talk of the Meteorological community today. It's lead to arguments, shouts of hallelujah, shouts of damnation, sighs, groans, and weather weenies jumping for joy, or wanting to throw themselves out of skyscraper windows.

So what's my take, well here we go FIRST CALL MAP!


Okay you're probably thinking, He's gone crazy! Maybe I have, but I'm still not convinced this storm is going to be an east coast runner, I think the models will come back to something closer to their earlier solutions. Watch for another dynamic model shift in 24 hours. This map will be adjusted many times over the coming days, and remember this is through Wednesday Evening, which is 5 days away, so take it worth a grain of salt right now.

And now it looks like HPC might be thinking heavy snow is again on the table for eastern KY, check out their probability maps for a 4"+ snow for day 3 *IE Monday*.



Oh Snap, maybe I'm not crazy after all! Maybe there is something to the east side of the apps track. Folks, we're still 72 hours out, this is going to be a storm we are fine tuning everything all the way through the storm, so just sit back, avoid the model madness, and stay abreast cause this could become something big.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well if the crowd at London Walmart and Gamestop are any indication of a coming storm, we're gonna get hammered. It looked like Christmas Eve in those stores tonight. I haven't seen a crowd like that since the holidays. Either they all know something we don't or they all had cabin fever.

Anonymous said...

Just thought I would drop by you site to say hi. I just found you. I was at CB' site and you actually answered a question I had and that never happens over here. Thank you, and I will continue to check your site for my weather in Kentucky.

Anonymous said...

Shane, I'm thinking you just might be the "next hot weatherdude" lol. I just thought I would add a little humor to the board. You are pretty good and this weather stuff though. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

I am thinking you don't check your blog enough. I am Snowlover and I think you do a great job. Maybe you just don't get enough credit for a job well done.